Monday, February 14, 2011

Kindergarten Curriculum - Box Day!!!



It has been quite a while since I've posted any updates. We've still been busy with preschool/tot school activities. I just can't seem to find the time to blog. After a lot of thought and prayer, we decided to start Kindergarten with Lexy in March. Yes, March is an odd month to start, but she's ready. We're all ready for a little more structure to our days. After deciding it was time to start, the question of curriculum loomed. I spent HOURS and HOURS reading about all the different options, and I finally decided on what we would use. I ordered the material, and the first box of curriculum arrived today. Lexy is BEYOND excited! She tore into her box and wanted to get to work right away. It's going to be hard to wait until March!



So, here are our choices for curriculum:

Core Curriculum - Heart of Dakota's, "Little Hearts for His Glory" - I am so excited about finding this curriculum. I originally read about it on Our Family For His Glory. I like the freedom it gives to use our own phonics and handwriting choices. I also like the use of living books that it uses in later programs. This first year, we will be studying creation through present day. It also adds fun ideas to use with Singapore Math.

Math - Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten. We will also be using some MathStart books. Also a friend introduced me to GiggleLearn. I plan on purchasing this to use as a supplement.

Handwriting - I really wanted to use "A Reason for Handwriting." But after some thought, I came to the conclusion that Lexy needs more instruction in letter formation. She still has some letters that she has difficulty making. She needed a handwriting program that provided more instruction. Therefore, I felt Handwriting Without Tears was the best option for us.

Phonics - My plan is to use All About Reading Level 1 when it comes out in April. For the time being, we will continue with Happy Phonics, Explode the Code, Progressive Phonics books, and All About Spelling Reader 1. We also use early reader books from the library, play games online, and study word families.

Science - LHFHG uses "The World God Made" as the science test. It takes the student through the six days of creation. I also plan to add to these units with a variety of Usborne books and my own ideas.

Music - Lexy will continue to take her music lessons through Harmony Road.

Bible - I love that LHFHG integrates the Bible throughout all it's plan. We do have a special "Bible time." However, it is not just a separate subject. It's woven into all that we do. A memory verse is also included each week.

Fine Motor - Rod and Staff Workbooks D and F


Literature/Read Alouds - LHFHG incorporates six books of fictional stories written by Thornton Burgess.

History - History for Little Pilgrims, History Stories for Children. Like I said, we will be getting an overview of creation through present day.

Art- LHFHG provides an art activity each activity. Along with this, Lexy will continue to have time each week to create freely at our art station. We will also use activities from Usborne's Big Book of Playtime Activities.

So, as you can see, we are very excited about starting in March! But for now, I'm having fun getting everything organized!
To see more preschool and kindergarten ideas, check out Homeschool Creations!

7 comments:

Walking Fruitfully said...

Look at her grin! Yay! I think I would be just as excited to open a box full of such fun books.

MommaAsh said...

We are using HOD too & LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I also appreciate how everything is centered around Christ & that you can use it as is or as a supplement etc! My son has learned so many verses through the Hide em in Your Heart CD!!

Jada Rocks said...

Thanks for sharing...I am in the search out process for my soon to be Kinder girl. I have seen HOD on Our family for His Glory also and I have really been looking at it and praying about it. I wrote down all your other ideas as well thanks for all the links!! Blessings:)

esther said...

Looks like some great choices!

Julie said...

Your daughter looks so excited! I love that picture with all of her books. We have used Little Hearts for His Glory 2 times and enjoyed it so much both times with our different children. It was just the right amount of work for them, and our homeschooling just started off on the right foot. We've been homeschooling for 8 years now with Heart of Dakota, and we have enjoyed every single year! HOD makes homeschooling a joy in our home, and our children are learning so much. I'm glad your gal will get to do HOD too!

Christy said...

Fun! We just started LHFHG last week, after switching from another curriculum. We've already been homeschooling, so my little one is used to the routine, but is loving it all! :)

Our Family for His Glory said...

Hurray!! I'm so happy for you... I know you will enjoy it & be blessed! I look forward to hearing more of your journey! :)
Jessica

Post a Comment