Thursday, September 8, 2011

LHFHG Unit 10 Week in Review and Journaling

We had another fun and productive week of schooling. We worked through Unit 10 in LHFHG. Josiah joins us for all the Bible lessons, Science, Art, Rhymes in Motion, Dramatic Play and thinking games. He is learning so much by doing lessons along with Lexy!



This week’s focus was on the Exiles in Babylon


Memory Verse: Romans 12:21 – “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” We had many opportunities this week to discuss this verse in real situations Smile Both kids love the Hide ‘Em in Your Heart cd that we use to learn the verses!



I didn’t do so well at taking pictures this week, but here are a few highlights:



Painting is always a favorite! They enjoyed painting a fire over “3+1” after the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego!


IMG_6223


Making hands to “write on the wall” after the story of Daniel and King Belshazzar.


IMG_6389


Decorating her sight words for the week with glitter



IMG_6390


Painting her Word Family Flower from Ready2Read



IMG_6395


…and of course, Josiah has to join in on the painting Smile



IMG_6395


After our history lesson about Alexander the Great and his colt, Bucephalus, we had a Science lesson on shadows.



IMG_6508



Lexy’s Kindergarten Journals



One of my goals this year is to get Lexy to write as much as possible. One way that we are doing that is by journaling. We have several different journals/notebooks this year.



She had fun decorating the outside of her writing journal.


IMG_6566



The way that we use this journal will probably evolve over the year as her writing progresses. For now, I start a sentence, and she finishes it. This is one of my favorites so far: “When I grow up, I want…to be a Mommy.” She does all the writing on her own. If she has trouble spelling a word, she asks for help.



IMG_6568


Then she draws a picture to go with her sentence. In her picture she is pregnant with a little girl next to her.


IMG_6569


The Calendar Notebook



This notebook is in her workboxes everyday. I printed the pages from various websites and put them together in a spiral notebook.


IMG_6570


She writes the number for the day of the month. Then she flips the page and…


IMG_6571


writes the full written date. Today is______. The written date is ________. The code date is ___________.


IMG_6572


Then she graphs the weather.


IMG_6573



Our Bible Journals



Although we have really been enjoying the LHFHG Bible lessons, I’ve found that it moves very fast for them to remember. So, I made each member of our family a Bible Journal. At the end of the week, we pick a story that stood out to us. We draw a picture depicting the story and write something about it. Obviously, I write for Josiah, but he tells me what to say. I thought I got a picture of his this week, but I can’t find it. So here are a few of my favorites from Lexy:



“Elijah went to heaven”


IMG_6574



“The King worshiped idols. God warned him. Jesus on the Wall.” She meant to write Jesus “wrote” on the wall. You can’t tell from the picture, but she traced her hand writing on the wall. The people in the picture are the king and the people at the party.


IMG_6575



And…I had to add my husband’s drawing Smile Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the furnace with the angel.




IMG_6576



I am in the process of creating a math journal which will rotate in her workboxes once or twice a week, as well. More on that to come.


Gymnastics



I forgot to take pictures of Lexy’s first week of gymnastics, so here are some of her second week! Here, she is mentally preparing herself Smile


IMG_6516


Anxiously waiting!


IMG_6518


Warming up


IMG_6520



And the Highlight of our week…A trip to the cabin. Lots of time outdoors, enjoying the new swing, hiking, finding treasures, swimming…


IMG_6501


…and now we look forward to our trip to the beach! We’ll bring along some school books, but I’m not so sure we’ll get much done!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Well done mom! I love the journal idea. I tried to start a math journal with my son when he was in Kindergarten but I could not keep it up. Looks like you all had a great week. Enjoy your vacation.

Christine said...

I followed your link from the HOD board. It looks like you're doing a great job. I need to get my daughter writing more. My son (8) HATES to write and maybe he would do better if I had started him earlier.

Post a Comment