Sunday, February 28, 2010

A New Fall Tradition

I am new to blogging and sometimes get very overwhelmed when I see what others are getting done on their sites. However, I have found so much inspiration from reading what other moms are doing with their kiddos at home. One of my favorite blogs to read is Homeschool Creations, especially the Preschool Corner section. I have decided to join up with Preschool Corner where many other moms place updates on what they are doing each week. I haven't been very faithful with my weekly updates, but hopefully this will motivate me. So, here's my first link up...although it's not really a weekly update of what we did for "school." I'll try to catch up with the updates next week.

We have had so much fun together as a family this fall. One highlight that I know will become a new tradition each harvest season is "The Pumpkin Patch Parable." We incorporated this very cute, simple book into our normal "Snack/Bible Time" that we do each night. Instead of our normal routine, Alex and the kids cleaned out a pumpkin and designed their own face for it. Alex and Peaknuckle did the carving. Then we headed outside to light our pumpkin and read "The Pumpkin Patch Parable" by Liz Curtis Higs. I read to each child individually and we prayed together. Then we just enjoyed some time in the cool Fall night on the porch, watching our pumpkin and taking pictures.

Here is a description of the book from its back cover:

"This charming story for children illustrates how a loving Farmer can turn a simple pumpkin into a simply
glorious sight. In the same way, God's transforming love can fill each of our hearts with joy and light.
Liz Curtis Higgs created this parable as a way to share the Good News with her own precious children
each harvest season...and now with children everywhere."

I know that there is controversy over carving pumpkins; however, I like how the author stated "Since the Lord Himself created pumpkins, it seemed appropriate to redeem this familiar symbol of the harvest season for His good purpose."

Here are some pictures of our evening together...

cleaning out the pumpkin
cleaning out the pumpkin



our little pumpkin
our little pumpkin




reading the parable to Peaknuckle
reading the parable to Peaknuckle




reading the parable to Bean
reading the parable to Bean





studying
studying




love it!
love it!




to the scarecrow: "stop looking at me."
to the scarecrow: "stop looking at me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment